Sandstone Flowage Association Overview
- The purpose of this association as stated in its bylaws is: "To preserve and protect Sandstone Flowage and its surroundings and to enhance the water quality, fishery, boating safety and aesthetic value of Sandstone Flowage for today and future generations."
- This non-profit, tax exempt Association was formed in July 2002. The Association does not require ownership of property on Sandstone Flowage in order to become a member. Approximately one half of the members do not have a permanent residence in the Crivitz area. This open membership policy also allows the Association eligibility for State and Federal grants. We do surveys by mail and e-mail to keep members informed and involved in decisions that impact the value and health of the Flowage. All members receive a copy of our general meeting minutes. The general membership approves any large projects. With the strength of our group, we can best protect all of our interests. Sandstone Flowage Association is a member of the Wisconsin Lakes Partnership and the Crivitz Business Association.
- Our organization has had some big successes. We planned and coordinated the largest group for owner paid gypsy moth spraying in Wisconsin. By 2006 we had placed 23 8'x8'x4' log fish cribs for fish habitat. We represented the stated interests of members, resulting in no new Sandstone ordinances, when this issue arose in 2005. Our work with the Wisconsin DNR encouraged a walleye stocking program for the flowage starting in 2006. Due to member concerns about aquatic plants, we applied for and received a DNR grant to evaluate this situation and to provide remedial options. Considerable work continues to be done regarding this ongoing issue, including invasive species control and management. We have had speakers present information from fish surveys and property values, ecosystems and rain gardens, shoreland zoning and water quality landscaping to federal issues with dam regulations resulting in "run of river". The Association continues to expand our fish habitat program by placing additional cribs, and continues to work with the DNR on ongoing fish stocking programs for the Flowage. In 2015, in cooperation with the Town of Stephenson and the DNR, the Association was able to effect the upgrade of the Sandstone Flowage boat launch/landing.
- Sandstone Flowage Association normally has two membership meetings each year, one held on Memorial Day weekend, and usually one in September or October. Meetings start with a social hour to meet your neighbors, then dinner and a short business meeting. Sometimes an appropriate program or presentation may be included.
- Current membership fees are $20 per household address for up to two voting members. One year membership covers the period from the Memorial Day weekend meeting to the next Memorial Day.